Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

The BestBuy Sincerity (or lack thereof) Factor

This is the first ever dual evaluation for the same business!
That's right I found a better deal at BB than at Amazon. I was both surprised and elated... I was about to save a significant amount of money, but I ran into a snag...

This is a copy paste of the conversation I had online with  (the online division of BestBuy) Buy.com:

Jonathan Ellis:  Trying to check out and set up an account, but the page will not accept any password.
Jennifer:  Ok, I will be happy to assist you with your account
Jonathan Ellis:  thanks
Jennifer:  Are you getting an error message?
Jonathan Ellis:  Password must be 6 to 30 characters and contain at least one number. Cannot contain spaces. Please try again to create a new password.
Jonathan Ellis:  the passwords I have tried to use have all contained the correct specs
Jennifer:  Ok, how many times have you tried this?
Jonathan Ellis:  3 or 4
Jennifer:  Ok, are you sure you have 6 or more characters and at least one number?
Jennifer:  No spaces.
Jonathan Ellis:  yep
Jonathan Ellis:  correct
Jennifer:  This is for your Best Buy account correct?
Jonathan Ellis:  Yes to create a bb account
Jonathan Ellis:  I also just now got a rewards membership that seemed to go without a hitch
Jennifer:  Ok, that is great!
Jennifer:  What I would recommend doing is calling 1-888-237-8289 and asking for order support. They will definitely be able to resolve this issue for you.
Jonathan Ellis:  thanks
Jennifer:  You're welcome. Thank you so much for choosing Best Buy. We look forward to chatting with you in the future. If you need further assistance please contact us via chat or by phone at 1-888-237-8289. Have a great day!
Thank you for using Oracle On Demand. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

It seems simple, friendly and kind, right?? Right. I called the number and spoke with yet another Jennifer who was not able to resolve the problem in any other manner but to take my order by phone. That was when something very strange happened. The total that they came up with was nearly $30.00 more than what I was being charged online. Online I was about to pay $5.66 in tax and by phone $38.40! In light of the fact that I was being forced into the purchase with a higher price I requested that they fix it. Jennifer could make that happen so I asked to speak with a supervisor which is when Scott came on the line with lots of fast talk and no service in mind. it was a problem on the website and no problem of his. He literally said, "there is nothing that I am willing to do to have your business. I will not discount anything. The tax is the tax. if you don't like it there's nothing I can do about that. And you should know that when you shop online if if the site doesn't work right you have agreed per the user agreement that BB will not be held responsible."

"You said a mouthful," I replied, "please cancel my order."

I was back to square one. In the meanwhile the original online Jennifer without my request had gone the extra mile and sent me a link whereby I could create a brand new password, and it worked! I made my purchase (tax $5.66).

Scott can bite me. He needs to discover that the customer being right has real meaning (or it should) to a "Customer Service Supervisor."

Evaluation Online: Jennifer was Extraordinarily sincere!

Evaluation Phone: Other Jennifer was caught in the middle while Scott -  well, You need to ask? Really?

Digg!

No comments:

Post a Comment