Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Bra Smythe - Manhattan

This one is for the ladies. You know how hard it is to find the perfect bra? Well, some of us do, for our own particular reasons. A friend of mine registered for her bridal shower at an upscale little shop in Manhattan called Bra Smyth and, inspired by her faith in them, I went there in search of that perfect brassiere. I was prepared to spend money – whatever it took to find the garment that would be the answer to all my prayers.

I was a little intimidated going in – after all, this is where rich women shopped for their lingerie. The snooty French saleswoman snagged me a few items to try on, and I finally settled on one that seemed to fit well and was pretty. I laid out 75 bucks for it – twice as much as I’ve ever paid for a bra, but I figured, you've got to pay for quality. Once I got it home and wore it a couple of times, I realized that it was uncomfortable under the arms, so I brought it back, and they, not entirely cheerfully, offered to alter it. I left it for a couple of weeks and came back, tried it on, it seemed okay, and I left with it. It wasn’t okay, though I kept thinking I could break it in like a pair of shoes. No. So, after a few days, I trudged back to the Upper East Side in the cold, wanting an exchange or refund. Oh no, it was lingerie and I had worn it. Well, of course I’d worn it; it was a bra, stupid. No. No refund. They could try to fix it again. I sighed, brought it home and managed to alter the damn thing myself. But I never loved the way it looked under clothes and eventually when it lost its elasticity, I tossed it in disgust. Never again will I pay that much for a bra. Instead, I recently went to a Macy’s clearance sale (a store I am not in the least condoning for its sincerity) and bought two lovely bras for a total of 20 smackers. As much as I want to support the local business over the chain, Bra Smyth can bite me.

Evaluation: Not Sincere At All

Digg!

905 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10021
212-772-9400

There's another location in Manhattan and one in N.J.
apparently you can get stuff off their website too:
I'm sure they have some nice crap:
www.BraSmyth.com

2 comments:

  1. Their mail order service is just as bad.

    This was my first time order from them, and the sent me the wrong order (read: someone else's order, with a third person's invoice!).

    I emailed, no response. I called and got a customer service rep that told me I would need to spend my own money to ship it back to them. When I refused, she said she couldn't help me and would need to forward my issue to the corporate office. They were supposed to call me this past Monday, Weds. at the latest. It is now Friday.

    It has been almost a month since I ordered, and I still do not have my order, but someone else's sitting by my desk in a box.

    I HATE Bra Smyth and will never, ever purchase anything form them again. I have no idea how they are still in business with this abhorrent level of customer service. Spread the word so that others do not have to deal with these people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Rachel. It really goes to show you that spending extra money with the expectation of a receiving a quality product is not always the way to go. I don't know why Bra Smyth's is so unprofessional but I am spreading the word and I hope to hear from others who've had experience with them.

    ReplyDelete