Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Burgerville, Portland Oregon

Though we tend to reject chain stores and restaurants as inherently insincere, we were introduced to one that breaks the mold when we visited my family in Portland, Oregon two summers ago. It's called Burgerville and it can be found throughout Oregon and Southen Washington. Doing some research on the web, I found some recent lousy reviews, but I assume the quality changes from location to location. What stands out about Burgerville is that they use mostly local ingredients and are conscientious, as far as I could tell, about how these local sources grow their food and seem to generally strive towards sustainability in their business practices.

On our visit there I had the Wild Smoked Salmon and Hazelnut Salad, featuring those locally grown and caught items as well as local Tillamook Cheese amongst lots of fresh greens. It was reasonably priced and very yummy. I did not indulge in things like the Pepper Bacon Cheeseburger which features, like all their burgers, locally raised, antibiotic and hormone-free beef nor the Oregon marionberry or blackberry shake, in- season berry lemonade or Walla Walla Onion Rings, but I was assured all were spectacular. The atmosphere was cute and old fashioned, the staff - well - I don't remember, but certainly not surly, and I remember wishing that more places like it existed.

When I think of our visit there, more than anything, it makes me think fondly of Portland in general - one of the most sincere cities I know. I believe it is officially the "greenest" city in the U.S. Even the airport is a delight. I'm sure there are tons of good and sincere restaurants in Portland, but until we can return for more investigation, Burgerville will have to do for now. Big shout out to Portland! We love you!

Evaluation: Kind of sincere

Digg!

www.Burgerville.com

No comments:

Post a Comment