Pages

Friday, March 4, 2022

The Cranky Reviewer Returns With Her Take on the Rest of the 2022 SAG Award Nominees, and Some of the Winners

CODA

This is to honor the actors, the artists, and the filmmakers, who have kept us going through the pandemic, and who not only provide a little relief from the weight of the world, but who also help us to see more profoundly what is wrong with the world, and how we might change it.

These are the films that were nominated for the 2022 Screen Actors Guild Awards in various acting categories. I honor the directors and all who were involved with the films too though, because we all know that actors can't act without them. So, these are the films and performances I recommend, or not so much. For nominated films not on this list, see my previous post.

Belfast - Beautiful and moving - gorgeous filmmaking by Kenneth Branagh. So relevant today. My pick for Best Cast in a Motion Picture but I was glad Coda won.
Coda - A feel good movie through and through. Loved it. Great performances. Tony Kotsur won Best Male Actor in a Supporting Role. Totally Deserved.
House of Gucci - meh
West Side Story - Breathtaking. Ariana DeBose won Best Female Actor in a Supporting Role.
King Richard - Will Smith was my pick for Best Male Actor in a Leading Role, which he won. Fantastic movie.
The Lost Daughter -Turned it off about half-way. Creepy and disturbing.
The Tragedy of Macbeth - Was dying to see this but only made it a half an hour in. I'm a huge Shakespeare fan and I was bored. Except for the witch(es).
The Eyes of Tammy Faye - Ugh. For me, unwatchable because I hate Jim and Tammy Faye Baker, but Jessica Chastain won for Best Female Actor in a Leading Role so maybe I should give it another try.
Respect - Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Should have been nominated for best cast - and best picture in the Oscars. Jennifer Hudson was my pick for best actress for the SAG Awards though she wasn't even nominated for an Oscar!!!!! Shame on them!
Tick Tick Boom - Um, it was good, but I don't think it belongs in "the best" categories.
Passing - I kind of didn't buy it, but I don't think I'm the person to comment on it.
Nightmare Alley - Great performances, beautiful filmmaking, but the story was too creepy. Don't know why Del Toro felt the need to remake it.
The Tender Bar - Good. Yeah. Affleck was great.
Licorice Pizza - Entertaining chaos. LOVED Alana Haim and that the whole Haim family was in it, actually playing a family. Not sure it should be in the best pic Oscar category, but it was really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment